Thursday, June 15, 2006

Plans

I’m off to Ireland for a long weekend break with a friend, leaving very early tomorrow morning. It should be good. We’ll be out in the wilds - climbing hills, going for a boat trip on one of the local loughs and visiting a couple of archaeological sites. I plan to be back online again by the middle of next week. Expect pictures.

The day after my return a couple of estate agents are coming to inspect the flat and give a valuation on what sale price I can expect to get for it. They will also advise on any alteration/redecoration that I need to do to make it more marketable.

Then, by September at the latest I hope, possibly earlier, I will put it up for sale. I will be going back and forth to Hereford a lot from July onwards. Fortunately I have two friends nearby who have each offered to supply bed and breakfast facilities when I need them ….

It’s time. It really is.

I’m wary these days of falling into the trap of believing that a new house/job/town/relationship/drink/lipstick/chocolate bar will fix a discomfort that stems from something deeper. They are so tempting, these illusions, so very seductive, particularly if you are as fond of chocolate as I am. But this desire to push on with the move is much more than simple escapism.

Firstly, there are good practical reasons for relocating now and some of these are listed in the post I’ve linked to above. More important though than all of these is that I know I have to do it, and soon. No choice. It’s bigger than me. I can’t explain.

14 Comments:

Blogger rdl said...

Have a wonderful time, can't wait to see the pics! And I can relate to the chocolate, etc. illusion take; but give yourself credit for the move, you deserve it.

12:23 pm  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Happiness is in the details. Forge ahead.

1:32 pm  
Blogger Sky said...

I believe we "know" what is right for our lives...what is necessary to the overall good of our lives. Sounds like you are responding to this call. Good luck in the process you are now following to get there!

Have a great holiday in Ireland! I can't wait to see the UK...hopefully in the next couple of years. :) We have family in Scotland.

1:51 pm  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

This is exciting, Mary. It feels like opening up, I'm not sure why. Meaning not a lateral move, doing what's done here over there. This is different. A new blossoming. Have a great trip to Ireland and I can't wait to hear about it and see the photos when you get back. *hugs

4:53 pm  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Wishing a marvelous time and much fun in Ireland and a good luck with the state agent.
Much happiness in your new home in Hereford. It's really a beautiful place to live in!

5:19 pm  
Blogger leslee said...

Very exciting. Things seem to be on the move all around for many people. Meanwhile, have a great escape to the wilds of Ireland!

6:09 pm  
Blogger MB said...

Your weekend sounds deliciously beautiful — better than chocolate, I dare say! Enjoy!

9:49 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

Ireland! Have a marvelous time ... really ... even if it rains ... which it will! I noticed that the Irish don't carry umbrellas ... at least in Connemara. They live with the rain so well. It was inspirational in many ways.

12:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I tag along? :D

Have a safe and wonderful trip, Mary!:)

4:09 am  
Blogger chuck said...

I get a little peek into other folks's lives in the blogs I visit-your life changes, change of domicile, journeys.

And I imagine myself trekking in Ireland (or Martha's Vineyard)...or
even China...

And I live your uncertainties...and momentarily escape my own...

7:16 am  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

" May the road rise up to meet you"! Have a good break.
Sometime the thing that is so big is really meant to be. You know, you just know.

12:45 pm  
Blogger Endment said...

Wishing you a delightful and refreshing weekend!!
Change is always a bit two edged - but it sounds like you are ready and that change is what you are needing right now. I wish you courage and success.

9:12 pm  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

I'll be looking forward to the pictures, and thinking of you as I eat my daily ration of chocolate.

4:10 am  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

If we are wise we will have the fortitude to listen to our inner voice telling us when it's time to move on without arguing the idea to death. I wish you the very best, and I hope you have a lovely adventure.

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home