Saturday, June 10, 2006

Summertime blues

Flowers and bee

Summertime blues. I've hit a painful bump in the road and they’ve been around recently. The French word for a bruise is un bleu, the same word as is used for the colour, and "bruised" pretty much sums it all up.

It has started me thinking though about blue, the word and the associated state of mind with its melancholy connotations.

And in contrast, I've been noticing the colour which from my perspective is soothing, cooling, receptive, healing …

Blues, seen and remembered:

  • my mother's two blue and white mugs which passed to me on her death - I wouldn't drink my morning coffee (black, no sugar, very hot) out of anything else;
  • delicate forget-me-not blue;
  • Philippe’s kind sky-blue eyes;
  • vibrant, iridescent electric blue;
  • the flash of kingfisher blue glimpsed as the little bird swoops across the stream;
  • sophisticated and grown-up navy blue;
  • a flotilla of blue-sailed yachts on the Thames passing under Vauxhall Bridge;
  • velvety midnight blue;
  • feathery, soft grey-blue;
  • the “wine-dark sea” - the deep, intense yet light-filled blue of the Mediterranean around the Greek islands.

An orchestra of different shades and tones, but all playing the same blue tune.

I may be a bit glum, but blue isn’t downbeat. On the contrary.

14 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

That's a beautiful list.
I think what we get is the "greys"...that colorless, joyless feeling is more grey, don't you think?

1:18 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

Nice take on Blue, from a fellow blues person.

2:19 pm  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Beautiful flower, Mary.
I love blue colour, too. When I was a kid (I have a twin sister) my colour was always blue and my sister's colour was rose. Till today in my wardrobe, the blue colour is the queen.

Thank you Mary, I appreciate your visiting and nice words about my post.

Have a nice weekend!

3:05 pm  
Blogger leslee said...

Good list. Interesting writing exercise, too.

6:34 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

lj: Thank you! The greys ..mm, perhaps. I rather like soft grey though .. in fact I've sneaked a blue-grey onto my list.

rdl: Always nice to hear from a fellow blues person :-)

Sonia: Thank you and you're welcome! Yes, I've always loved blue, which is why I find it hard to match it up with "the blues".

Leslee: The writing exercise just came out of nowhere really. I'm tempted to add to it, or start one with another colour. Thanks for the visit.

8:18 pm  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

Blue, as you meditate on it out loud, takes on the sense of an infinite sky...

I needed this, thank you.

8:24 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Brenda: Ah yes, the expansiveness of the wide blue sky. It is so easy to close down at difficult times. Thank you for putting words to this connection.

9:39 pm  
Blogger MB said...

I agree with you, "the blues" doesn't do it justice. As another lover of blues, I know these colors are far more nuanced and passionate than they are usually given credit for.

7:33 pm  
Blogger chuck said...

Nice meditation on 'blue'...

7:54 pm  
Blogger chuck said...

Nice meditation on 'blue'...

7:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, you've taken the blues and made lemonade (toasting you with a mixed metaphor... hmm, I must be thirsty).

Oh, yes, please do another color, this was delightful. I hope it altered the mood!

10:12 pm  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

After a life of being a red person, I, too, have embraced blue. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow when I drink my coffee out of my own blue mug. xo

5:32 am  
Blogger Mary said...

MB, Jess, Patry and Chuck (welcome, Chuck!). Thank you all.

7:36 am  
Blogger Barbara said...

I am fond of the colour blue, my favorite flowers are both blue and I seem to wear a lot of blue. I hope you don't stay 'blue' for long.

9:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home