Saturday, April 15, 2006

Here comes the sun ...

Daisy 2
Click to enlarge

Common Daisy/English Daisy (Bellis perennis):

It is a herbaceous plant with short creeping rhizomes and small rounded or spoon shaped evergreen leaves 2-5 cm long. The flowerheads are 2-3 cm diameter, with white ray florets (often tipped red) and yellow disc florets; they are produced on leafless stems 2-10 cm (rarely 15 cm) tall.

It is thought that the name "daisy" is a corruption of "day's eye", because the whole head closes at night and opens in the morning.

It is not affected by mowing and is therefore often considered a weed on lawns, though many also value the appearance of the flowers .

from: Wikipedia

Taken on the lawn of the garden of my block of flats. How could anyone think this is a weed?

A Happy Easter to all.

11 Comments:

Blogger herhimnbryn said...

Hallo from Australia!
I have just found yr lovely blog. You have made me quite homesick for the UK with this image! Thankyou for sharing it.
Have now bookmarked you.

12:29 pm  
Blogger Endment said...

Lovely "weed" it is always so difficult to photograph white flowers- thanks for the information from Wikipedia.

1:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I love seeing these bright little flowers in the grass.

4:44 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

I'm a little sick of my weeds - the ones i've been pulling all day - they have thorns or wrap around the trees.
Happy Easter to you too!

11:33 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

I'm a little sick of my weeds - the ones i've been pulling all day - they have thorns or wrap around the trees.
Happy Easter to you too!

11:34 pm  
Blogger LJ said...

Oh, ah..."day's eye"...I love that. I'll never look at a daisy again without thinking it.

2:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so pretty!

Happy Easter to you, Mary :)

3:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's how it is with "weeds" — if you think it is (or isn't) it is (or isn't). Much like most of life; perhaps all of it.

Happy Easter to you too, Mary.

5:08 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you all. I hope everyone is having a peaceful and enjoyable break .... :-)

10:27 am  
Blogger Dale said...

Weeds!!!

One of my favorite bits of Chaucer is in the Prologue to the Legend of Good Women, when he speaks of how in May he hurries out to the fields at dawn to cast himself down on the grass and watch the daisies open, and stays there watching all day, till they close. Poetic exageration, no doubt, but still I kind of think he really did it at least once or twice.

6:27 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Dale: .. love the Chaucer story :-)

8:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home