Sunday, March 26, 2006

Flowers

Yellow 2

They were a bunch of 99p supermarket daffodils, added to the shopping basket as an afterthought at the checkout desk.

Bought in bud, they exploded into flower overnight, and these past few days they have filled the room with sunshine, even when it has been cold and grey outside. Nonetheless in my busy week - well busy in my head, I seemed to accomplish practically nothing - I had to keep reminding myself to stop and look at them, to take time and just enjoy the flowers for a minute or two. They would not be there for ever. Sure enough, yesterday their water turned cloudy and they faded and shrivelled.

This week's flowers are carnations. Pinky-white petals with a deep crimson rim and fleck. Unusual, beautiful. I would like to be less scattered in the next seven days, more able to be present and to appreciate ...

14 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Tous les ans , nous plantons quelques nouvelles jonquilles dans notre jardin . Maintenant , elles sont très nombreuses , variées , épanouies .
C'est un deuxième soleil !
Un grand merci pour votre mot .

8:10 am  
Blogger Endment said...

"Each flower is a soul opening out to nature." -Gerald De Nerval

The light! that glow of sunshine multiplied in every petal --- lovely

11:05 am  
Blogger harmonyinline said...

Lovely daffodils.
I love the smell of fresh carnations.

6:27 pm  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

I passed up some buds in the store last night because they were closed so tight. Now I think I've got to go back...Happy spring, Mary!

9:27 pm  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lovely - a sign of spring, we seem to have been waiting a long time for spring this year.

10:31 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

"I seemed to accomplish practically nothing " - ah Mary, I know the feeling all to well. Maybe tho we should stop and smell the roses or is it coffee?

3:40 am  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Beautiful!

5:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:44 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

A sign of rebirth a sign of spring a smile on face and a twikle in my eye.

Thank You

7:09 pm  
Blogger Zhoen said...

I've been indulging in Trader Joe's roses, a dozen tiny blooms for $4. Moby likes chewing on the leaves.

9:04 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you all. Et merci.

Zhoen: my ginger cat is currently grazing on the carnation leaves as I type this ..

3:50 pm  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

So beautiful these bunch of daffodils!

4:40 pm  
Blogger justin said...

What a lovely splash of light and colour, Mary.
I've tried taking some flower photos outdoors, but it's been too windy to get good photos.

7:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mary: I relate. As Julie Andrews says in "That's Life", "I don't think a day passes where I don't feel that I've inadvertently turned my back on something or someone". The changing of the flowers is wonderful and a real boost to any room. You will catch up, I just know it!

8:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home