Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A wish

for SH

There was a chasm
dry and strewn with rocks.

Neither of us
could throw a rope
across
or build a bridge
to meet half way.

You tried once
but by then
I was barricaded
into my encampment
on the other side

frozen
frightened
of falling and being broken
beyond repair.

----

May it not be
too late
for an unfamiliar grace
to melt away
the illusion
so fiercely grasped

and to learn
that weakness and fear
can only hide
a luminous reality
for a little while
(maybe not even a lifetime)

then to soften and
to heal
and finally
to understand

to let the waters flow and
to watch the desert bloom.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

oh, you're a gemini like me...
I don't believe in it, mostly, but just sometimes... a relentless changeability that is so at odds with some of my other characteristics - I always think I'm such a gemini in that, and I think I sense it in you too, perhaps?

I love the poem, and the photo.

And I have a very rude word verification, which I shall not repeat :-)

12:11 pm  
Blogger Zhoen said...

(o)

1:48 pm  
Blogger Cate said...

I directed here from LJ's Life on Earth blog. I am glad that I did. This poem is so lovely and touching.

4:02 pm  
Blogger MB said...

Mary, I find this a very moving poem. It is hard, but also tender, and in the end seems to be a kind of love poem to the self. I think those are the best kind, to the extent that the self is where it all starts. Self-compassion, as we've discussed before ;-).

4:22 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

Nice and hopeful!

1:43 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you for your comments. I did mean the poem to be hopeful ... not really ready to go public on who it's for but it was helpful to write. Poetry as therapy :-)

Jean: Ah the Gemini restlessness. Maybe not a bad thing though I often think it is.

Koru's Daughter: Thank you and welcome. Nice to have your visit!

4:22 pm  
Blogger Dale said...

Amen.

10:47 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Dale: thank you.

4:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

(And your photo is most intriguing.)

1:24 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Ginkgo: Thank you. Always nice to have a visit from you.

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home