Sunday, December 18, 2005

Digital cameras

Although it may not be delivered until January, I believe Father Christmas might be prevailed upon to bring me a digital camera this year.

It's been almost a year since I started reading blogs and I know there are a lot of really talented photobloggers out there. What model/type would you recommend, particularly for posting on blogs? What do you like about it (or not)? Money is always an object but I would be willing to stretch the budget to get the one that really suits me. Not being a camera or technology expert, simplicity of use and/or comprehensible operating instructions are REALLY important - it must be reasonably idiot-proof.

Input of all kinds very gratefully received.

6 Comments:

Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Mary, thank you so much for your kind words on my place, too!

I am not an expert, I am a brand new photographer. I use my husband's digital camera. It is Sony DSC-S40, Cyber-shot, Carl Zeiss. Lens: 2,8-5,1/5,1-15,3 Vario - Tessar. I download the photos to the computer and I process them (bright, contrast and gama) through Microsoft Photo Editor.

8:56 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

Hi Mary, I like Canon. Andit depends if you want something small-to fit in yr. purse or pocket or if you want a larger zoom. There is a canon ? 4MP (pixels) with a 4X (optical zoom - not just digital) for $200 that should do the trick.
good luck!

12:23 pm  
Blogger Jean said...

The quality of your prose and images, your sensitivity to small things, makes me think you would appreciate reasonably powerful zoom and macro options. These are certainly what I'm starting to want after a year of snapping away with a very basic model.

4:13 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Sonia and Rdl: Thank you. I will investigate both models you suggest. It's good to have these leads.

Jean: Thanks very much for this thought. Are you looking at any particular models yourself?

10:50 pm  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Love my old Cannon PowerShot- they don't make them anymore, though. Cannon makes crap media and batteries- strictly "for demonstration purposes only". So know you will have to add battery and media to whatever you have budgeted. And a reader so you can download it onto your computer, and softwear to fiddle with it. I love iPhoto, but we had it already when we got our camera. Dunno what PC users need.

But the immediate feedback beats film for me, no question.

12:11 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks Zhoenw. Useful and helpful information. :-)

6:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home