Friday, November 11, 2005

Starting point

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
H D Thoreau

Leaving the city has been on my agenda for several years now, but as an appealing concept, nothing stronger. I would like a modest house in a small town, with a spare room for my work, and above all a garden. Simple needs, but not financially possible in the capital. I know the town I want to move to, close to good friends and to some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK.

In the last couple of months it has seemed that I have been unable to progress in any area of my life. It hasn't been possible to find an opening in the type of work in which I have re-trained (too much competition in London), a relationship has foundered, and for the first time the city no longer feels like home. It is now dawning on me that these repeated rebuffs, and the discouragement that results, are straws in the wind carrying the message that moving should be more than just an idea. That it might be time to start taking some action. The idea of relocating has moved from the head to the gut and to the heart.

So, I am looking at mid-to-late 2007 as my goal to be settled in my new abode. Two years. Time enough to do what needs to be done. And blogging about it here is the starting point.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just dropping by...hope you find your dream house soon!

3:04 am  
Blogger moira said...

I have found that the most challenging times in my life have also led towards the most precious rewards, and for that reason alone I wouldn't take any of it back. It seems that the universe has a way of urging and pushing you in the needed direction. Then again, maybe it is just nature, like the way that the stream goes where there is room for it, where the land opens and cradles it.

I also struggle with city life. My husband and I have a dream of a house in a small college town. Our more distant vision is of a vineyard on acres of rolling hills. For now, our friends and lives are here, but who knows where the road leads in the future?

I wish you courage and peace as you move in this new direction.

8:03 pm  
Blogger ruth said...

In my experience, when you find the place you can flourish everything else flows from it. Go for it, maynbe even today.

2:25 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Apples, Moira, Ruth: Thank you very much for your encouragement. It helps enormously, and is greatly appreciated.

7:52 pm  
Blogger MB said...

As Moira said, I too have seen that in my life the most trying times have somehow produced some beneficial result, usually totally unexpected. Perhaps this will happen for you, too. At any rate, I think it's marvelous that you've articulated your dream. Now for a "door" that you can push open.... Good luck! I'm sure it will happen.

3:59 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Moose: thank you so much for this and the other comments you have left on my blog. I can't tell you how important this sort of encouragement is. It matters a lot and is much valued.

7:16 pm  
Blogger leslee said...

Hey Mary, Mars has been retrograde, among other things, preventing forward motion. It's been frustrating for a lot of people, certainly for me. But I guess it's a good time for revisiting and refining your plans, then you can take action when the timing is right.

9:56 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Yes Leslee, and my natal Mars is in Taurus as well, close to where it stationed early October. Plus it's squaring Saturn in Leo at the moment I believe? Refining and revisiting time for us all, as you say. :-)

10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home