Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Finite resources

"I'd think about my sister who lives a quick two hours away by car. I
imagined how many days it would take to walk all that way uphill to see her."

Reaction after seeing the documentary: The End of Suburbia.
from - The Web-of-Life wiki

Gemma Grace on her blog has linked to an entry, which includes a report she has written for the Web-of-Life wiki on the topic of oil depletion. A worthwhile and sobering read, and check out the comments on the post as well.

Pretty high on the list of reasons why I want to move out of the city is the ability to become a little more self-sufficient (a bicycle, a garden for growing vegetables and fruit, sourcing locally produced food, etc). No-one can save the world single-handed, global and collective initiatives are needed in the face of dwindling natural resources, but any action no matter how small is better than nothing; the collective after all is the sum of many individuals. And these problems/opportunities are not going to go away.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will look into her blog soon, thanks for sharing!

8:39 am  
Blogger MB said...

any action no matter how small is better than nothing

Mary, I appreciate these concerns and applaud your hopes to find a way to become a little more self-sufficient and use fewer resources. I wish more people thought like you!

9:57 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks of both you.

Moose: fortunately, it's actually a pleasure for me to live like this if I can. It keeps me grounded.

3:43 pm  
Blogger Gemma Grace said...

Thank you, Mary, for the link :) I think the small actions are perhaps the most important actions. I feel most connected to nature in the small moments, small actions. When I feel connected, I act with greater awareness as to my place in nature. The greater awareness I experience, the greater the awe I feel for nature's sublime beauty.

8:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home