Sunday, October 02, 2005

Solar Eclipse

There is a solar eclipse tomorrow morning, Monday 3rd October, visible in the UK between approx 0840 and 1115 (BST). In Southern Europe and Africa there will be an annular (ring-like) eclipse; we in the UK and the rest of Europe, given clear skies, should be able to see a partial eclipse.

The full and informative NASA website is here, with more information here, including a good photo or two and an interesting discussion board with further links.

NB: Do note the advice given about not looking directly at the sun.

Astrology buffs might want to go here.

I find such celestial events, and other dramatic natural phenomena, to be salutary reminders, viz. a) that there are very few things in life that I have any control over at all aside from my own actions (and sometimes not even that), b) that physical life is fragile, and c) that I am better off when I remember all this.

6 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

I'm sorry I'll miss it. You're in for an extraordinary experience and I like the meaning you lend it!

7:10 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Alas, we missed it too. Grey skies this morning in London. :-(

7:48 pm  
Blogger MB said...

Too bad! Grey skies this morning here, too, which is unusual.

10:08 pm  
Blogger leslee said...

Ah, I was going to point you to the Mountain Astrologer, but I see you're already there! The upcoming lunar eclipse lands pretty close to my lunar nodes, so I'm curious what the effect might be. There was a solar eclipse near one end of the same pole last spring.

6:57 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Leslee, the eclipse also lands very close to my lunar nodes too! I think you are 9 years younger than me so you and I have the nodal axis reversed I guess.

5:15 am  
Blogger leslee said...

Oh, that's interesting! I finally found an explanation of the nodes that has fit more than "leave that South Node behind and embrace the North" - it said that people often emphasize one more than the other, regardless of direction, but what's most needed is to incorporate the two. If I can find it, I'll send it to you - the description used Aries-Libra as an example. (My mom had a nodal reversal to me - it can be difficult in a parent-child relationship without good awareness - she was disdainful of what should have been my native strength.)

12:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home