Thursday, October 27, 2005

Small kindnesses

The streaming cold persisted yesterday, so I went out only for some necessary shopping and errands.

First stop, the dry cleaners. An elderly man collecting his clean jacket was unhappy about the way the young lad behind the counter was folding it and attempting to squeeze it into a carrier bag. The young lad was losing patience, the old man was muttering and complaining to anyone who would listen, and the atmosphere was getting increasingly tense.

A middle-aged woman assistant took over. She listened calmly and attentively to the elderly customer's complaints. When he had finished she refolded the jacket to his liking, consulted him on the size of the carrier bag he wanted, and suggested that he put his newspaper in the bag as well, as this would make it easier for him to carry everything. Finally, she asked gently if he was now reassured, and if there was anything else he required. He said, no, he was quite happy now, and thanked her in a shaking voice for her help.

Then, on to the supermarket. The young woman at the check-out desk, whom I had never seen before, cheerfully packed my two bags for me, adjusting the contents so the bags' weight would be as nearly equal as possible. "Hope you feel better soon" she called out, as I went on my way.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I love this.

1:57 pm  
Blogger MB said...

Kindness is a vastly underrated commodity. I, too, hope you are feeling better very soon!

4:23 pm  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Simple thoughtfulness blesses those who give and those who receive.

10:51 pm  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

When well described, an ordinary day has so much to tell us. Thanks for this. And yes, I, too, hope you're feeling better.

3:30 pm  
Blogger Jean said...

I like much your text of today. Certain days, everyone seems very nice pleasant. Thank you for your comment. I can look with the eyes, you can look at and dividing what you saw with the keyboard.

7:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home