Sunday, October 30, 2005

Advice re Blogger anyone? (Updated)

For the last 12 hours or so I have been getting error messages when I try to upload a picture into Blogger from my scanner. Since I started blogging last month I have never had any problems doing this up until now. I have done everything that Blogger Help suggests, but to no avail. I have also emailed Blogger but don't imagine I will get an immediate reply (I contacted them earlier in the week on another matter and have heard nothing). Blogger Status reported the same problem last Friday but says it has now been resolved. Well, no, not here it hasn't.

I have a couple of posts in my draft folder with photos, for eventual posting. Once these are up, I would not want to have a totally pictureless blog future ....

Any longer-standing Blogger users/more computer-proficient types than me, has this ever happened to you? If so, what did you do to resolve matters? All suggestions most gratefully received (and not just from Blogger users).

Ggrrrr! Pissed off. I am going to go offline for a day or so and do some flesh and blood things in the flesh and blood world. The sun is shining, the trees are beautiful, it is still warm (for October), I am alive and life is beckoning.

Update: Jean has commented that she is having similar problems. Maybe then a Blogger (or a UK Blogger) problem? Will leave the post up in case anyone else has input. Thank you, Jean!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

It's not you, I have the same problem - since Friday. Have had this before, but not for such a long period.

9:01 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Quelle soulagement! You caught me just in time. Thank you Jean. Hope things are OK with you?

9:06 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Mary, you could try switching to a remote hosting service for your photos, such as imageshack.us or photobucket.com. You have to size your photos on your own computer before you upload them, but after that it's a simple matter of copying and pastig the tag into your post. This would give you the additional advantage of making your photos visible to subscribers of your feed, who might not realize there's a photo there and thus not click through from Bloglines, or whichever feed reader they use.

5:02 pm  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mary I just discovered your blog yesterday and have enjoyed reading it.

I too have been having problems with photos for the past few days but have just been sucessful in uploading some . I hope you have some success soon.

10:12 pm  
Blogger Dale said...

Haven't uploaded anything for a few days, but glitches like that aren't rare. The first thing I do, when I run into one, is give up and wait a day or two :-)

Blogger's only been hosting photos for free for a couple months, so I wouldn't be surprised if their code is a little buggy still. (Or maybe they just ran out of bandwidth or storage or something.)

3:24 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you all. I can't believe how stressed I am getting over this. Sometimes I find it easier to deal with difficult people than I do with difficult IT stuff.

Dave: Thanks for the suggestion re a remote hosting service. If the current difficulties don't resolve themselves I will definitely go down that path.

Dale: Thanks for the background on the Blogger situation. It helps.

Starnitesky: Thanks also for your experience. Welcome!

I will try and upload again, probably after lunch as I have to go out this morning. I will try and cultivate a zen-like calm before I do so!

9:24 am  
Blogger Jean said...

Seems to be fine now - hope that's the case for you too, Mary.

I usually post photos through Hello (either directly from my hard disk or from Picassa image storage programme, where I store and sometimes crop or otherwise manipulate my digital photos - see instructions in Blogger for installing both Picassa and Hello). In this instance neither uploading from Hello nor direct uploading to Blogger was working, so the problem was obviously at the Blogger end. I had installed Hello/Picassa because ntil very recently, Blogger didn't upload images directly. I still prefer doing it through Hello, because of the difficulty of controlling accompanying text with direct upload - sometimes leaves a big gap, sometimes you think you've put the text underneath but the first line or two appears alongside... It does have the disadvantage, though, that you can only upload one photo per post, so you have to cut and paste laboriously into the right post if you want more than one. Also you have to find and cut the several lines of code every time for the Hello icon that appears with every picture.

Better option, I think, is hosting pictures on Flick'r, or the services Dave recommends, and posting from there. I intend moving to this when I have time.

10:44 am  
Blogger Mary said...

No, just tried twice. Still no luck. I think it might be something at my end as well maybe. I will try on and off for the next few days and then call out my computer guy.

4:11 pm  
Blogger Gemma Grace said...

Yes, FlickR is great and really, really easy to use. You can find all about it at www.flickr.com. Best of Luck, Mary :)

6:15 am  
Blogger Jean said...

I did lose the ability to post pictures again yesterday, too, Mary, after I posted my comment yesterday. But later it came back again. I really don't think it's you.

1:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home